Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Louisiana » West Carroll Parish

West Carroll Parish

West Carroll Parish is named for Charles Carroll, who was the last surviving signer of the United States Declaration of Independence.


Surrounding Parish and County Courthouses: 

N – Chicot County, Arkansas 

E – East Carroll Parish

S – Richland Parish 

W – Morehouse Parish


Created:  March 28, 1877                       Map of Louisiana highlighting West Carroll Parish

County Seat: 

Oak Grove  1877 – present


County Courthouse – Oak Grove 


Location:  305 East Main Street / South Briggs Street

Built:  1916 – 1917

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  W L Stevens

Contractor:  Caldwell Brothers of Abbeville


Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The north front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance has a white colored frame. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line and below is a horizontal white band. An addition was added on the east side in 1962 to 1963. The architect was Beauford G Jacka of West Monroe and the contractor was Jesse F Heard & Sons of West Monroe.


County Administration – Oak Grove 



Location:  107 South Briggs Street / East Mariette Street

Built:  2012 – 2013

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Taylor-Wallace Designs, Inc .of Downsville

Contractor:  Randle McLarrin Construction LLC of Oak Grove.


Description:  The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Oak Grove on the west side of the courthouse. The east front has a wide porch supported by concrete columns and raised section above the entrance. The recessed entrance is arched. The porch runs along the south. The roof is hipped. 


See:  The 5th Judicial District includes Franklin Parish and Richland Parish.


Note:  Carroll Parish was created in 1838 with parish seat at Lake Providence. In 1855 the parish seat was moved to Floyd and the first courthouse was two story structure built in 1857 to 1858. West Carroll Parish was created in 1877 and the parish seat was moved to Oak Grove in 1915. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1916 to 1917..



Parish Courthouse – Oak Grove

















Parish Administration – Oak Grove







Photos taken 2011 and 2019