Skip to content
Home » US States » N » Nebraska » Garfield County

Garfield County

Garfield County is named for James Abram Garfield, who was President of the United States in 1881 when he was assassinated.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Holt County

E – Wheeler County

S – Valley County

W – Loup County

 

Created:  November 8, 1884                  Map of Nebraska highlighting Garfield County

County Seat:

Willow Spring  1884 – 1890

Burwell            1890 – present

 

County Courthouse – Burwell

 

Location:  250 South 8th Avenue / H Street

Built:  1962 – 1963

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Thomas, Benjamin and Clayton

Contractor: Lacy Building & Supply

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story brown colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Burwell. The building has a center section with a large rectangular concrete arch with recessed entrance having glass panel walls. The north and south sections have horizontal connected windows. The roof line is hipped. In the interior, there are red colored brick walls in the entrance foyer. The County District Court courtroom is located on the east side of the entrance foyer in the center of the building. The building houses the County District Court and County Court of the 8th Judicial District.

 

See:  The contractor, Lacy Building & Supply, also constructed the courthouse in Nance County.

 

See:  The 8th Judicial District includes Blaine CountyBoyd County, Brown CountyCherry County, Custer CountyGreeley CountyHolt CountyHoward County, Keya Paha County, Loup CountyRock County, Sherman CountyValley County and Wheeler County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1884 and Willow Spring was selected as the county seat. In 1890, the county seat was moved to Burwell and the first courthouse, a two story frame structure was built. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1962 to 1963.

 

 

County Courthouse – Burwell  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2006, 2010 and 2016