Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Oregon » Lincoln County

Lincoln County

Lincoln County is named for Abraham Lincoln, who was a member of Congress from Illinois ( 1847-1849 and President of the United States ( 1861-1865 ).

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Tillamook County

E – Polk County and Benton County

S – Lane County 

W – Pacific Ocean

 

Created:  February 20, 1893                  Map of Oregon highlighting Lincoln County

County Seat: 

Toledo     1893 – 1954

Newport  1954 – present

 

County Courthouse – Newport

 

Location:  225 West Olive Street / SW Coast Highway

Built:  1954 – 1955

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Burns, Bear, McNeil & Schneider

Contractor:  Wall Partram & Sanford

 

Description:  The building  faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Newport. The north front has projecting glass entrance on the first story. Above are small horizontal windows. The building is “L” shaped with white and brown colored brick on the east, south and west sides. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 17th Judicial District. On the west side is the County Jail.

 

History:  The county was created in 1893 and Toledo was selected as the county seat in 1896. The first courthouse was a two story frame structure designed by Charles Burggraf and built in 1888 to 1899. The county seat was moved to Newport in 1954. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1954 to 1955.

 

 

County Courthouse – Newport

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2012 and 2016