Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Alabama » Marion County

Marion County

Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Franklin County

E – Winston County and Walker County

S – Fayette County and Lamar County

W – Monroe County, Mississippi and Itawambe County, Mississippi 

 

Created:  February 13,1818                                                       Map of Alabama highlighting Marion County

County Seat:

Pikeville    1820 – 1882

Hamilton   1882 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hamilton

 

Location:  132 Military Street South / Bexar Avenue

Built:  1901 . 1959 – 1960

Style:  Modern

Architect:  F M Dobson / Charles H McCauley

Contractor:  Unknown / Renfroe Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Hamilton. The center section rises to three stories with one story wings on the north and south sides. The east front has a recessed porch with six pillars supporting the second story above. The wings have vertical window panels and red brick walls. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County District Court and County Probate Court of the 25th Judicial District. The building is a remodel of the 1901 sandstone building built by F M Dobson and remodeled in 1940. The building was remodeled in 1959 to 1960. The architect was Charles H McCauley and the contractor was Renfroe Construction Company.

 

Old County Courthouse – Pikeville

 

 

Location:  291 General Jackson Road / Highway 171

Built:  1820

Style:  Wood frame

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story wood frame structure. The building is located on spacious grounds of the site of Pikeville along Highway 171 southeast of Hamilton. The east front has a two story porch. The roof is hipped. The building served as the courthouse from 1820 until 1859 with the courtroom located on the second story 

 

See:  The 25th Judicial Circuit includes Winston County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1818 and Pikesville was selected as the county seat in 1820. The first courthouse was built in 1818 at Cotton Gin Port near Armory. The second courthouse in 1819 was the home of Henry Grier. The third courthouse was built at Pikeville and later became the home of Judge John Dabney Terrell Jr. in 1859 and served until 1882. The county seat was moved to Hamilton and the fourth courthouse was built and was destroyed by fire. The fifth courthouse was built in 1887 and was also destroyed by fire. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1901 by F M Dobson and was remodeled in 1940. In 1959 to 1960, the courthouse was further remodeled. The architect was Charles H McCauley and the contractor was Renfroe Construction Company.

 

 

County Courthouse – Hamilton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Pikeville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010 and 2018