Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Arkansas » Lafayette County

Lafayette County

Lafayette County is named for Marie Joseph Paul Lafayette, who was a French general who fought in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1757 to 1834.

 

Surrounding County and Parish Courthouses: 

N – Hemptead County and Nevada County

E – Columbia County

S – Webster Parish, Louisiana and Bossier Parish, Louisiana

W – Miller County

 

Created:  October 15, 1827                    Map of Arkansas highlighting Lafayette County

County Seat:        

Chickaninny Prairie  1827 – 1840

Lewisville                  1840 – present

                           

County Courthouse – Lewisville

 

Location:  1 Courthouse Square / 3rd Street

Built:  1940 – 1942

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Clippard & Vaught

Contractor:  Works Project Administration

 

Description:  The building  faces south and is a two story buff colored  brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lewisville. The south front has a central entrance on the first story with high vertical windows on the second story. The lower east and west wings extend southwards. The roof line is flat. The interior has marble wainscoting and wood door mouldings. The County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the second story and has the judge’s bench positioned along the long wall of the rectangular shaped room. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the South 8th Judicial District. This was a Work Projects Administration project. The architect was Clippard & Vaught and the contractor was WPA.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Lafayette County Courthouse

 

See:  The 8th Judicial District includes Hemptead CountyMiller County and Nevada County.

 

History: The county was created in 1827 and Chickaninny Prairie was designated as the county seat. The county officers met at the home of Sheriff Joshua Morrison until the first courthouse, a log structure was built in Chickaninny Prairie, ten miles southwest of Lewisville on the Red River, in 1828. In 1842, the county seat was moved to Lewisville and the second courthouse, a brick structure was built in 1841 to 1842 at a cost of $4,000. The third courthouse was a two story structure designed by Frank W Gibb and constructed to J W Detwiler in 1890 at a cost of $5,000. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1940 using local trades and labor.

 

County Office Building – Lewisville

 

 

Location:  110 East 4th Street / Maple Street

Built:  1974 – 1975

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Weaver & Hiegel Associates

Contractor:  Pierce Builders, Inc.

 

Description:  The building  faces south and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lewisville on the north side of the courthouse. The south front has a central concrete portico at  the entrance. A vertical brown colored band runs along the flat roof line. 

 

 

County Courthouse – Lewisville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Office Building – Lewisville

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010 and 2019