Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Virginia » Loudoun County

Loudoun County

Loudoun County is named for John Campbell, who was the fourth Earl of Loudoun, British Commander-in-Chief in North America during the Seven Years War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Washington County, Maryland, Frederick County, Maryland and Montgomery County, Maryland

E – Fairfax County

S – Prince William County and Fauquier County

W – Clarke County and Jefferson County, West Virginia

 

Created:  March 25, 1757                       Map of Virginia highlighting Loudoun County

County Seat: 

Leesburg   1757 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Leesburg  

 

Location:  18 East Market Street / Church Street

Built:  1894 – 1895

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  William C West

Contractor:  Norris Brothers

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Leesburg. The west front of the rectangular shaped building has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The entrance is arched with fanlight at the top. The vertical windows are arched. On the hipped roof is a high white colored octagonal belfry. 

 

County Courthouse Annex – Leesburg  

 

 

Location:  18 East Market Street / Church Street

Built:  1844 – 1845

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Leesburg on the east side of the courthouse and was built as the Leesburg Academy for Boys. The County acquired the building in 1873. The south front has two porticoes with four white colored columns rising to pediments. In the center is a recessed section with white colored columns. The roof is hipped. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 20th Judicial Circuit. A building matching and adjoining the Academy building was constructed in 1959. From 1999 to 2004, Phase I being an addition was constructed on the north side with a long west wing, was constructed by Charles E Tompkins Company. On the east side is the Old Valley Bank built in 1805 as the Clerk’s Office, converted to a bank in 1818 and purchased in 1972. The building was renovated in 1987. The architect was Ballinger LaRock and the contractor was Caldwell & Santmyer, Inc.

  

Note:  The cost of Phase I was $20,900,000.

 

New County Courthouse – Leesburg  

 

Location:  NE – Church Street / Edwards Ferry Road

Built:  2020 – 2023

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Dewberry Architects Inc.

Contractor:  Costello Construction of Columbia, Maryland

 

Description:  The building faces west and is under construction.

 

See:  The 20th Judicial Circuit includes Fauquier County and Rappahannock County

 

History:  The county was created in 1757 and Leesburg was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a brick structure built by Aeneas Campbell in 1758 and the second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1811. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1894 to 1895. On the east side is the County Courthouse Annex built in 1844 to 1845. A new courthouse is being constructed on the east side from 2020 to 2023 at a cost of $54,000,000.

 

County Government Center – Leesburg  

 

Location:  1 Harris Street SE / East Market Street

Built:  2019 – 2021

Style:  Modern

Architect:  DCS Design

Contractor:  Gilbane Development

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a five story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Leesburg to the southeast of the courthouse. The east front has a projecting central concrete portico with recessed glass entrance.  At the roof line is a peaked rise and the roof line is flat. 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Leesburg

 

 

County Courthouse – Leesburg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse Annex – Leesburg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Valley Bank Building – Leesburg

 

 

Photos taken 2013