Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » West Virginia » Wyoming County

Wyoming County

Wyoming County is named for a word from the Lenape language meaning “broad bottom lands”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Boone County and Raleigh County

E – Mercer County

S – McDowell County

W – Mingo County and Logan County

 

Created:  January 26, 1850                    Map of West Virginia highlighting Wyoming County

County Seat: 

Oceana   1850 – 1907

Pineville  1907 – present

 

County Courthouse – Pineville

 

Location:  24 Cedar Avenue / Bank Street

Built:  1916 – 1917

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  A F Wysong

Contractor:  D J Phipps of Roanoke, Virginia

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story buff colored ashlar stone structure. The building sits on a landscaped hill overlooking the Guyandotte River in the center of Pineville. The stone was locally quarried. The south front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola. In the interior, the main entrance to the courthouse leads to a large lobby which is directly under the south half of the second floor courtroom. The stairways to the courtroom are open-well, three-flight, and with an open string. They have lovely turned newels and balusters three to the tread. The string has ornamental brackets and the handrail is large and beautifully curved. The stairway at the west wing entrance is an open single-flight with all the features of the other stairs. The courtroom has a high paneled wainscot which holds the bases of the many fluted pilasteres with Ionic capitals which grace the courtroom walls. The floors are of terazzo though much of it has been covered with tile. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 27th Judicial Circuit. On the east side is the Wyoming County Jail which is constructed of the same rock-faced stone and was constructed in 1930 under the Works Project Administration. On the north side is the County Courthouse Annex.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Wyoming County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse Annex – Pineville

 

 

Location:  44 Cedar Avenue / Bank Street

Built:  1958

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Frampton & Bowers

Contractor:  Jack W Davis.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building sits on the landscaped grounds of a hill overlooking the courthouse and the Guyandotte River in the center of Pineville. The south front has vertical sets of windows and panels. The roof line is flat. In the interior, there is one courtroom located on the second story. The building houses the County Magistrate Court.

 

History:  The county was created in 1850 and Oceana was selected as the county seat. The first meeting of the court was held at the home of John Cook near Oceana. The first courthouse was built in 1852. The county seat was moved to Pineville in 1907 and the court moved into a temporary courthouse. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1916 to 1917.

 

 

County Courthouse – Pineville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Statue of Reverend William H Cook 

 

 

 

 

County Jail – Pineville

 

 

Photos taken 2012