Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Wisconsin » Dodge County

Dodge County

Dodge County is named for Henry Dodge, who was Wisconsin Territorial Governor from 1836 to 1841 and from 1845 to 1848.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Green Lake County and Fond du Lac County

E – Fond du Lac County and Washington County 

S – Waukesha County and Jefferson County

W – Dane County and Columbia County

 

Created:  December 7, 1836                  Map of Wisconsin highlighting Dodge County

County Seat: 

Juneau  1836 – present

 

County Courthouse – Juneau

 

Location:  210   West Center Street / West Street

Built:  1999 – 2000

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Stubenrauch Architects of Sheboygan and Kimme and Associates of Champaign, Illinois

Contractor:  C D Smith

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story buff and red colored stone, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Juneau. The first story is faced with a dark red colored stone and the upper stories are faced with a light yellow colored stone. The central entrance protruded from the main building and is rounded with glass windows on the second story. The east and west corner section also protrudes from the main building. The roof line is flat. In the interior there is one Circuit Court courtroom on the first story and four courtrooms along the south side of the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 3rd Judicial District.

 

See:  The 3rd Judicial District includes Jefferson County, Ozaukee CountyWashington County and Waukesha County. 

 

County Administration Building – Juneau

 

 

Location:  127 East Oak Street / Main Street

Built:  1936 – 1937

Style:  Moderne

Architect:  R R Boyd

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff colored stone, glass  and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Juneau. The building has a flat roof line. The building served as the courthouse until 2000, The original section was the former courthouse constructed in 1878 and demolished in 1995. The building was renovated in 1995 to1996 and the north addition was constructed. The architect was The Stubenrauch Architects Inc. of Apellton.

 

History:  The county was created in 1836 and Fox Lake was selected as the county seat. The first court met in the Old Gravel School in Oak Grove from 1844 to 1846. The county seat was moved to Juneau in 1846 and the first courthouse was built by Martin Rich at a cost of $6,000. The courthouse burned in 1877. The second courthouse was designed by H C Koch & Company and in 1877 to 1878 at a cost of $27,000. The third courthouse was constructed in 1936 to 1937 as an addition and became the courthouse in 1995 when the second courthouse was demolished. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1999 to 2000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Juneau

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

County Administration Building – Juneau

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Former courtroom – Board od Supervisors Meeting Room

 

 

Photos taken 2007 and 2022