Westmoreland County is named for Westmoreland County in the United Kingdom.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Charles County, Maryland and Saint Mary’s County, Maryland
S – Richmond County and Essex County
Created: July 5, 1653 ![]()
County Seat:
Currioman 1653 – 1667
Montross 1667 – present
County Courthouse – Montross
Location: 15803 Kings Highway / Polk Street
Built: 1900 – 1901
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Bartholomew Smith Fireproof Construction Company
Contractor: Bartholomew Smith Fireproof Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Montross. The east front has a large portico with four tall white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed door is framed with white colored wood. There is a small balcony on the second story. The building forms a “T” shape with north and south wings. The roof is hipped. The building was remodeled in 1930.
County Judicial Center – Montross
Location: 175 Polk Street / Ames Lane
Built: 2013 – 2014
Style: Modern
Architect: dBF Associates of Charlottesville
Contractor: W M Schlosser Company Inc. of Chesapeake
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Montross to the north of the courthouse. The northeast front has a projecting center section with portico rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are large square towers at either end of the front of the building. There is a square cupola with clock above the portico. The roof is hipped. The building houses the Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile Court of the 15th Judicial District. The building is presently under construction to the northwest of the Administration Building.
See: The 15th Judicial Circuit includes Caroline County, Essex County, Fredericksburg, Hanover County, King George County, Lancaster County, Northumberland County, Richmond County, Spotsylvania County and Stafford County.
History: The county was created in 1653 and Currioman was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was erected on the property of the Sheriff in Currioman. In 1667 the Sheriff John Lord moved the county seat to Montross. The second courthouse was built by John Sturman in 1687 to 1891. The third courthouse was a one story brick and timber structure built in 1707 to 1708. A front porch was added and between 1818 to 1823, a second story was added. During the repairs, the court met across the street in the Brick House owned by Thomas Spence. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1900. The County Judicial Center was constructed in 2012 to 2014.
County Administration Building – Montross
Location: 111 Polk Street / Ames Lane
Built: 1974 – 1976
Style: Modern
Architect: C W Ruff, Jr. and J Carl Morris and Associates Inc.
Contractor: Milton L Hammond, Inc.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Montross to the north of the courthouse.The northeast front has a long canopy supported with brick pillars. The central entrance is recessed. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the George D English, Sr. Memorial Building, The District Court is housed in the building.
County Courthouse – Montross
County Judicial Center – Montross
County Administration Building – Montross
Photos taken 2013
