Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Louisiana » Jackson Parish

Jackson Parish

Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the 7th President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.


Surrounding Parish Courthouses: 

N – Lincoln Parish

E – Ouachita Parish and Caldwell Parish

S – Winn Parish

W – Bienville Parish


Created:  February 27, 1845                  Map of Louisiana highlighting Jackson Parish

Parish Seat  :        

Vernon       1845 – 1911

Jonesboro  1911 – present


Parish Courthouse – Jonesboro 


Location:  500 East Court Street / 5th Street

Built:  1937 – 1938

Style:  Moderne

Architect:  J W Smith and Associates and H H Land

Contractor:  Tudor & Ratcliff


Description:  The building faces north and is a four story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Jonesboro. The first story is faced with Indiana Limestone and above is buff colored brick. The windows are vertical with vertical panels between. The roof over hangs and is sloped. In the interior, the large Parish District Court courtroom is located on the west side of the second story. The building houses the Parish District Court of the 2nd Judicial District.This was a Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works project. The building was renovated in 1966. The architect was Yeager, Young and Associates and the contractor was F C Barbon.


See: The architect firm, J W Smith and Associates, designed many of  the courthouses in Louisiana. These courthouses are found in Caldwell Parish, Catahoula Parish, East Carroll Parish, Madison Parish, Natchitoches Parish and Ouachita Parish


See:  The 2nd Judicial District includes Bienville Parish and Claiborne Parish.


History:  The parish was created in 1845 and Vernon was selected as the parish seat. The first courthouse was a two story log structure built in 1845 in Vernon. The courthouse was burned in 1878 and the court met in churches and schools. The second courthouse was a one story structure built in 1884 in Vernon. The parish seat was moved to Jonesboro in 1911. The third courthouse was a two story structure designed by L L Thurmon & Company and constructed by Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky in 1912 to 1914 at a cost of $45,000. On February 16, 1936 an explosion completely demolished the courthouse. Occurring in the basement of the courthouse, it literally blew the building to pieces. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1938 at a cost of $876,000.



Parish Courthouse – Jonesboro















Parish District Court courtroom



















Picture 1884 Parish Courthouse



Picture 1912 Parish Courthouse



Picture 1938 Parish Courthouse

Photos taken 2011 and 2019