Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Louisiana » Madison Parish

Madison Parish

Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the fourth President of the United States of America.


Surrounding Parish and County Courthouses: 

N – East Carroll Parish

E – Warren County, Mississippi

S – Tensas Parish

W – Franklin Parish and Richland Parish


Created:  January 19, 1838                    Map of Louisiana highlighting Madison Parish

Parish Seat  :        

Richmond  1838 – 1863

Tallulah      1863 – 1868

Delta          1868 – 1883

Tallulah      1883 – present


Parish Courthouse – Tallulah 


Location:  100 North Cedar Street / East Green Street

Built:  1938 – 1939

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  J W Smith and Associates

Contractor: M Thomas Reed Construction Company of Monroe


Description:  The building faces east and is a two story white colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Tallulah The east front has a large portico with four high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The green colored roof is sloped. On the center of the roof is a small square cupola with green colored roof. On the north and south are long one story wings. An addition was constructed on the west side in 1993. The architect was G-T & Associates Inc. and the contractor was Walker & Wells.


See: The architect firm, J W Smith and Associates, designed many of  the courthouses in Louisiana. These courthouses are found in Caldwell Parish, Catahoula Parish, East Carroll Parish, Jackson Parish, Natchitoches Parish and Ouachita Parish. Also, M Thomas Reed Construction Company of Monroe was the contractor for the courthouses in East Carroll Parish and Natchitoches Parish.


See:  The 6th Judicial District includes East Carroll Parish and Tensas Parish.


History:  The parish was created in 1838 and Richmond was selected as the parish seat. The first courthouse was built in Richmond in 1838 and was destroyed in 1863 during the Civil War. The parish seat was moved to Tallulah in 1863 and then to Delta in 1868 where the second courthouse was built in 1868. The parish seat was moved to Tallulah and the third courthouse was built in 1887. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1938 to 1939.



Parish Courthouse – Tallulah





















Picture 1868 Parish Courthouse in Delta



Picture 1887 Parish Courthouse in Tallulah

Photos taken 2011 and 2019