Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Louisiana » Tensas Parish

Tensas Parish

Tensas Parish is named for The Tensas or Taensa Native American people.


Surrounding Parish and County Courthouses: 

N – Madison Parish

E – Warren County, Mississippi, Claiborne County, Mississippi and Jefferson County, Mississippi

S – Concordia Parish

W – Catahoula Parish and Franklin Parish


Created:  March 17, 1843                       Map of Louisiana highlighting Tensas Parish

Parish Seat  :        

Saint Joseph  1843 – present


Parish Courthouse – Saint Joseph


Location:  124 Hancock Street / 2nd Street

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Patrick Henry Weathers of Jackson, Mississippi

Contractor:  M T Lewman & Company of Louisville, Kentucky


Description:  The building faces north and is a two story brown colored stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Saint Joseph. The building is square shaped with extending wings. The north front has a central portico with four high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The northwest and northeast wings extend at an angle. The roof is sloped. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola with white colored dome. In the interior, the Parish District Court courtroom is located at the center of the second story. The building was renovated in 1984. The architect was Herbert H Land Architects Inc. and the contractor was Jackie W Gilbert Construction Company.


See:  The architect, Patrick Henry Weathers of Jackson, Mississippi, designed courthouses in Mississippi in Lamar County, Lee County and Marion County; in Missouri in Cape Giradeau County, Daviess County and Stoddart County;  and in Oklahoma in Ellis County, Logan County and Washington County.


See:  The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.


See:  The 6th Judicial District includes East Carroll Parish and Madison Parish.


History:  The parish was created in 1843 and Sain Joseph was selected as the parish seat. When Saint Joseph ( Densmore’s Landing ) became the parish seat, a courthouse was erected. The second and present courthouse was constructed on the site of the first courthouse in 1906 to 1907.



Parish Courthouse – Saint Joseph



















Parish District Court courtroom under repair 2019







Photos taken 2011 and 2019