Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Louisiana » Caldwell Parish

Caldwell Parish

Caldwell Parish is named for the Caldwell family who were a prominent family in the area.


Surrounding Parish Courthouses: 

N – Ouachita Parish

E – Richland ParishFranklin Parish and Catahoula Parisk

S – Catahoula Parish and La Salle Parish

W – Winn Parish and Jackson Parish 


Created:  March 6, 1838                         Map of Louisiana highlighting Caldwell Parish

Parish Seat  :        

Columbia  1838 – present


Parish Courthouse – Columbia 


Location:  201 Main Street / Pearl Street

Built:  1937 – 1938

Style:  Moderne

Architect:  J W Smith and Associates

Contractor:  Nile E Yearwood


Description:  The building faces northwest and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Columbia. The windows are vertical with panels between. The third story is recessed. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the Parish District Court courtroom is located on the northwest side of the second story. The building houses the Parish District Court of the 37th Judicial District. An addition was added to the northeast side in 1971. The architect was Prentiss M Seymour and the contractor was Lincoln Builders of Ruston Inc.


See: The architect firm, J W Smith and Associates, designed many of  the courthouses in Louisiana. These courthouses are found in Catahoula Parish, East Carroll ParishJackson Parish, Madison Parish, Natchitoches Parish and Ouachita Parish


History: The parish was created in 1838 and Columbia was selected as the parish seat. The first court met at the home of Fleming Noble. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1838. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1848. The structure was rebuilt in 1894 as the third courthouse and which was demolished in 1937. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1937 to 1938.


Parish Courthouse Annex – Columbia 



Location:  200 Main Street / Wall Street

Built:  1955 – 1956

Style:  Modern

Architect:  W M King Stubbs

Contractor:  NH W Chapman


Description:  The building faces northwest and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Columbia on the northwest side of the courthouse. The northwest front has a central recessed entrance. The roof line is flat. The building was originally built for the School Board.



Parish Courthouse – Columbia



















Parish District Court courtroom















Parish Courthouse Annex



Photos taken 2011 and 2019