Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Louisiana » Claiborne Parish

Claiborne Parish

Claiborne Parish is named for William C C Claiborne, who was the first governor of Louisiana from 1812 to 1816.

 

Surrounding Parish and County Courthouses: 

N – Columbia County, Arkansas and Union County, Arkansas

E – Union Parish and Lincoln Parish

S – Bienville Parish

W – Webster Parish

 

Created:  March 13. 1828                                   Location within the U.S. state of Louisiana

Parish Seat: 

Russellville  1828 – 1836

Overton       1836 – 1848

Athens         1848 – 1849

Homer         1849 – present

 

Parish Courthouse – Homer  

 

Location:  514 West Main Street / South Main Street

Built:  1860 – 1861

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  W C Crutcher

Contractor:  W C Crutcher

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story white colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Homer. Each side has six high white colored columns supporting the overhanging roof. Each entrance has a small balcony above on the second story. On the center of the roof is a high white colored octagonal cupola with white colored dome and weather vane. Stairs on the north and south sides ascend to the second story Parish District Court courtroom. The building houses the Parish District Court of the 2nd Judicial District.On the west side is the Parish Courthouse Annex housed in the old Homer National Bank constructed in 1921. The building houses the Police Jury Chamber.

 

See:  National Register pf Historic Places – Claiborne Parish Courthouse

 

Note:  Other old courthouses are located in East Feliciana Parish, Lafourche Parish and Saint Martin Parish.

 

See:  The 2nd Judicial District includes Claiborne Parish and Jackson Parish.

 

History: The parish was created in 1828 and Russellville was selected as the parish seat. The first court met at the home of John Murrel in 1828. In 1836, the parish seat moved to Overton and in 1848 to Athens. The first courthouse was built in 1848 and burned in 1849 at which time the parish seat was moved to Homer. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1860 to 1861.

 

 

Parish Courthouse – Homer

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parish District Court courtroom in 2011

 

 

 

 

Parish District Coyrt courtroom in 2019

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parish Courthouse Annex – Homer

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011 and 2019