Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Mississippi » Coahoma County

Coahoma County

Coahoma County is named for the Native American word meaning “red panther”.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Tunica County

E – Quitman County and Tallahatchie County

S – Sunflower County and Bolivar County

W – Phillips County, Arkansas


Created:  February 9, 1836                                                        Map of Mississippi highlighting Coahoma County

County Seat:               

Port Royal       1836 – 1842

Delta               1842 – 1848

Friars Point     1848 – 1930

Clarksdale       1892 – present


County Courthouse – Clarksdale 


Location:  115 1st Street / Delta Avenue

Built:  1954 – 1955

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Hanker & Heyer

Contractor:  J E Pyle


Description:  The building faces southeast and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Clarksville. The building has a central portico on the southeast with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On either side are bay windows. On the east and west are small projecting sections with a pediment art the roof line. The green colored roof is hipped. In the interior, the County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the west side of the building. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 11th Judicial District, County Chancery Court, County Court and County Youth Court. Renovated in 1999 to 2000. The architect was Dickson, Tyson & Associates and the contractor for Phase I was Roy Collins Construction Company, Inc. and for Phase II was White Construction Company.


See:  The 11th Judicial District includes Bolivar County, Quitman County and Tunica County.


History:  The county was created in 1836 and Port Royal was selected as the county seat. The county seat was moved to Delta in 1842 and then to Friars Point 1848 and the first courthouse was built. Clarksdale was selected as the second county seat in 1892. The second Friar’s Point courthouse was designed by James A Cook and constructed by Lindamont & Puckett and S H Berg in 1894 and was later demolished in the 1950’s. The Clarksdale courthouse was designed by James A Cook and constructed by James Acord in 1894 as the third courthouse. In 1930, Clarksdale became the sole county seat. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1954 to 1955.



County Courthouse – Clarksdale



















County Circuit Court courtroom











Photos taken 2012 and 2017