Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Mississippi » Pike County

Pike County

Pike County is named for Zebulon Pike, who was the discoverer of Pikes Peak, and who lived from 1779 to 1813.

 

Surrounding County and Parish Courthouses: 

N – Lincoln County

E – Walthall County

S – Washington Parish, Louisiana and Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana

W – Amite County

 

Created:  December 9, 1815                                                      Map of Mississippi highlighting Pike County

County Seat: 

Holmesville  1815 – 1875

Magnolia      1875 – present

 

County Courthouse – Magnolia    

 

Location:  235 East Bay Street / South Cherry Street

Built:  1882 – 1883

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  F B Hull and William S Hull of Jackson

Contractor:  C F Bridemill

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story white colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Magnolia. The north front has a projecting center section with four piasters rising to a wide header at the roof line. The central entrance on the first story has a small pediment above. There is a projecting cornice running below the roof line. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 14th Judicial District and County Court. The building was remodeled in 1917 to 1918 with the addition of an east wing. The architect was Xavier A Kramer of Magnolia and contractor was Dabbs and Wetmore of Meridian. The building was renovated in 1965 to 1966. The architect was Watkins and Reed of McComb and contractor was Sherman Construction Company of McComb. The building was renovated in 2001. The architect was Watkins & Cox of McComb and contractor was Clark Construction Inc. of McComb. On the south side is the County Chancery Court Annex and on the north side is the County Youth Court Building.

 

See:  The architect, William S Hull of Jackson also designed courthouses in Alabama in Bibb County and Choctaw County and in Mississippi in Covington County, Forrest County, Jefferson Davis County, Perry CountySharkey County and Tallahatchie County.

 

County Chancery Court Annex – Magnolia    

 

 

Location:  235 East Bay Street / South Cherry Street

Built:  1996 – 1997

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Watkins & Cox of McComb

Contractor:  Clark Construction Company, Inc. of McComb.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story white colred concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Magnolia on the south side of the courthouse. On the west front is a high porticoes with sloped roof at the entrances. In the ointerior, the County Chancery Court courtroom is located at the center on the east side. The roof line is flat and the building is connected to the courthouses on the north side. The building houses the County Chancery Court. 

 

See:  The 14th Judicial District includes Lincoln County and Walthall County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1815 and Holmesville was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in Holmesville in 1816 and was destroyed in 1884. The Clerk’s Office was built in 1848 and is still standing. The county seat was moved to Magnolia in 1875 and the second courthouse was built in Magnolia in 1976. The building was destroyed by fire in 1881. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1882 to 1883 at a cost of  $9,480 and the cost of the 1918 remodeling and addition was $13,461.

 

County Justice Court – Magnolia    

 

 

Location:  2109 Jesse Hall Industrial Park Road / Highway 51

Built:  1992 – 1993

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Dean / Dale and Dean

Contractor:  Clark Construction Company, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the north of Magnolia along highway 51. The building has a center courtyard and the County Justice Court is located in the south wing. The building was expanded in 2007. The architect was Watkins and Company of McComb and the contractor was Paul Jackson & Son of Brookhaven.

 

Old County Courthouse / Clerk’s Office – Holmesville

 

 

Location:  Town Square

Built:  1848

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Local labor

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Holmesville. The “L” shaped building has a short wing on the west side and the main wing on the south side. The building was originally the Clerk’s Office until the county seat was moved in 1875. The building was renovated in 1974. The architect was Ragland Watkins of McComb and the contractor was Stickney Construction Company. The building was renovated in 2017. The architect was Cox Architecture and the contractor was Paul Jackson & Son of Brookhaven. The courthouse was built in 1816 and was destroyed in 1884.

 

 

County Courthouse – Magnolia

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Supervisor Minutes awarding contract to C F Bridemill in 1882

 

 

Supervisor Minutes awarding the 1917 contract 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Chancery Court Annex – Magnolia

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Chancery Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Justice Court – Magnolia

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Justice Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Courthouse / Clerk’s Office – Holmesville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011 and 2019