Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Alabama » Bibb County

Bibb County

 

Bibb County is named for William Wyatt Bibb, who was the first Governor of Alabama.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Tuscaloosa County and Jefferson County 

E – Chilton County

S – Chilton County and Perry County

W – Hale County and Tuscaloosa County

 

Created:   February 6, 1818                                                       Map of Alabama highlighting Bibb County

County Seat:

Antioch       1818 – 1830

Centreville  1830 – present

 

County Courthouse – Centreville

 

Location:  35 Court Square / Valley Street

Built:  1902 – 1903

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  William S Hull of Jackson, Mississippi

Contractor:  F M Dobson

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, stone  and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds of the Court Square in the center of Centreville. The southwest corner has a high square brick clock tower with round cupola at the top with white colored dome. The south front has a large stone trimmed arch at the entrance on the first story. The south front rises to a peak. There is a course stone foundation. The roof is hipped. In the interior there is dark wood trim. The large County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the south side of the second story. There is a small courtroom oat the southeast side of the first story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 4th Judicial Circuit and the County District Court. The architect was William S Hull and the contractor was F M Dobson. The building was renovated in 2000. The architect was PHJ Architects Inc. and the contractor was Stewart Construction Company. On the north side is a two story rectangular shaped buff colored brick and concrete addition constructed in 1997 to 1998 which is attached to the courthouse. The architect was PHJ Architects Inc. and the contractor was Stewart Construction Company.

 

See:  The architect, William S Hull of Jackson also designed courthouses in Alabama in Choctaw County and in Mississippi in Covington County, Forrest County, Jefferson Davis County, Perry CountyPike CountySharkey County and Tallahatchie County.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Centreville

 

 

Location:  8 Court Square / Southwest Davidson Drive

Built:  2019 – 2020

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Ellis Architects Inc.

Contractor:  Bond Construction LLC.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Centreville on the west side of Court Square. The east front has two entrances with white colored columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. The roof is hipped. The building houses the County Probate Court. The previous annex which was on the site was demolished.

 

See:  The 4th Judicial Circuit includes Dallas CountyHale CountyPerry County and Wilcox County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1818 and was named as Cahawba County until 1820. The first county seat was Antioch where the first courthouse was erected. The county seat was moved to Centerville in 1830 and the second and third courthouses were erected. In 1859 the fourth courthouse was built. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1902 to 1903.

 

 

County Courthouse – Centreville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse with 1998 addition

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court small courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse Annex – Centreville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Former County Courthouse Annex (demolished) – Centreville

Photos taken 2010 and 2023