Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New York » Fulton County

Fulton County

Fulton County is named for Robert Fulton, who invented the steamship.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Hamilton County

E – Saratoga County

S – Montgomery County

W – Herkimer County

 

Created:  April 18, 1838                         Map of New York highlighting Fulton County

County Seat:

Johnstown ( Tyron )             1772 – 1784

Johnstown ( Montgomery )  1784 – 1836

Fonda ( Montgomery )         1836 – 1838

Johnstown                           1838 – present

 

County Courthouse – Johnstown

 

Location:  223 West Main Street / William Street

Built:  1772 – 1775

Style:  Georgian

Architect:  Samuel Fuller of Schenectady

Contractor:  Bennet and Zephaniah Bachellor of Boston

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Johnstown. The east front has a small porch. Above is a fan widow. On the center of the roof is a square white colored wood cupola rising to an octagonal cupola with green colored dome. The building consists of one large courtroom. The building houses the County Supreme Court, County Court, County Family Court and County Surrogate’s Court. 

  

Note:  The courthouse is the oldest court building in New York. The construction was financed by Sir William Johnson and was the Tryon County and Montgomery County courthouse until 1838, when the county became Fulton County.

.
See:  The 4th Judicial District is located at 101 State Farm Place in Malta and includes Clinton CountyEssex CountyFranklin County, Hamilton County, Montgomery County, Saint Lawrence County, Saratoga County, Schenectady County, Warren County and Washington County.

 

History:  The county was created as Tyron County in 1772 and Johnstown was selected as the county seat. The name was changed to Montgomery County in 1784. The first and only courthouse was built in 1772 to 1775 in Johnstown. In 1836 the county seat was moved to Fonda and in 1838, Fulton County was created and the county seat returned to Johnstown.

 

County Administration Building – Johnstown

 

 

Location:  223 West Main Street / William Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story yellow colored brick and limestone  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Johnstown. The building adjoins the courthouse and Clerk’s Office which are on the east side. The section on the west side was built in 1961 to 1962. The architect was William Harrison of Troy and the contractor was J Lansing Finlay of Amsterdam.

 

 

County Courthouse – Johnstown

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Supreme Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

County Clerk’s Office – Johnstown

 

 

County Administration Building – Johnstown

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010