Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New York » Clinton County

Clinton County

Clinton County is named for DeWitt Clinton, who was a Governor of New York and Vice President of the United States

 

Surrounding County and Canada Courthouses: 

N – Quebec, Canada 

E – Grand Isle County, Vermont and Chittenden County, Vermont

S – Essex County

W – Franklin County

 

Created:  March 7, 1788                         Map of New York highlighting Clinton County

County Seat:

Plattsburgh  1788 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Plattsburgh  

 

Location:  133 Margaret Street / Court Street

Built:  1889 – 1890

Style:  Italianate and Romanesque Revival

Architect:  M F Cummings

Contractor:  Brown Brothers

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Plattsburgh.  The east front has a projecting center section with stone arch at the entrance and stone walls rising to red colored brick and a small pediment. Behind rises a large square bell tower with steep roof. The main building has stone walls rising to red brick on the second story. There are large arched windows on either side of the bell tower. The base of the building is course stone. On the north side is the two story red colored brick Clerk’s Office.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Clinton County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse – Plattsburgh  

 

 

Location:  157 Margaret Street / Cornela Street

Built:  1975 – 1976

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Jeremiah Oosterbaan

Contractor:  Murnane Associates of Plattsburgh

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds ion the center of Plattsburgh to the north of the old courthouse. The east front has an overhang above the recessed glass entrance. The second and third story windows are recessed. The center section of the building extends from the main building. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Clinton County Government Center.

 

See:  The 4th Judicial District is located at 101 State Farm Place in Malta and includes Clinton CountyEssex CountyFranklin County, Fulton CountyHamilton County, Montgomery County, Saint Lawrence County, Saratoga County, Schenectady County, Warren County and Washington County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1788 and Plattsburgh became the county seat in 1788. The first courthouse was a log blockhouse originally built as a jail. The second courthouse was built in 1803 at a cost of $2,751. The courthouse was burned by British troops in 1814. The third courthouse was built in 1815 to 1816 and burned in 1836. No courthouse was built until the fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1889 to 1890. The County Government Center was constructed in 1975 to 1976.

 

 

County Courthouse – Plattsburgh  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Clerk’s Office – Plattsburgh  

 

 

 

 

County Government Center – Plattsburgh  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010