Warren County is named for Joseph Warren, who was an early American patriot and a general during the American Revolutionary War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Hamilton County and Essex County
S – Saratoga County
W – Hamilton County
![]()
Created: March 12, 1813
County Seat:
Lake George 1813 – 1963
Queensbury 1963 – present
County Courthouse – Queensbury
Location: 1340 State Route 9 / County Road 23
Built: 1962 – 1963
Style: Modern
Architect: Milton Lee Crandell, Charles T Whitney and William Bouton
Contractor: Sweet Association Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a projecting center section with three recessed entrances divided by vertical concrete dividers. At the top of the openings are grill work sections. The roof line is flat. An addition was constructed on the north side in 2016 to 2017. The architect was Clark Patterson Lee and the contractor was Bunkoff General Contractors of Latham.
.
See: The 4th Judicial District is located at 101 State Farm Place in Malta and includes Clinton County, Essex County, Franklin County, Fulton County, Hamilton County, Montgomery County, Saint Lawrence County, Saratoga County, Schenectady County and Washington County.
County Administration Building – Queensbury
Location: 1340 State Route 9 / County Road 23
Built: 1962 – 1963
Style: Modern
Architect: Milton Lee Crandell, Charles T Whitney and William Bouton
Contractor: Sweet Association Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a recessed entrance with glass panels. The second story projects and has a series of adjoining vertical windows. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Lake George
Location: 290 Canada Street / Amherst Street
Built: 1945 – 1846
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Winfield Sherwood
Contractor: Unknown
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a central arched entrance on the first story. A wide horizontal cornice runs below the second story windows. Above the entrance is a square brick clock tower with clock and steep roof at the top. In 1878 the judges’ quarters were added, giving the building its distinctive clock tower. Seven years later, in 1885, the small clerk’s building was replaced by a larger one that was added to the front of the judge’s quarters, to some criticism of its effect on the building as a whole.
History: The county was created in 1813 and Lake George was selected as the county seat. The court met in coffee houses until land was donated and the first courthouse including a clerk’s office and jail were built in 1815. In 1843 the courthouse and clerk’s office burned to the ground. The second courthouse was constructed in 1845 to 1846. The county seat was moved to Queensbury in 1963 and the third and present courthouse was constructed in 1962 to 1963.
County Courthouse – Queensbury
County Administration Building – Queensbury
Old County Courthouse – Lake George
Photos taken 2010
Images
