Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Pennsylvania » Huntingdon County

Huntingdon County

Huntingdon County is named for the town of Huntingdon which town was named after Selina Hastings, Countess of Huntingdon.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Centre County

E – Miflin CountyJuanita County and Franklin County

S – Fulton County and Bedford County

W – Blair County

 

Created:  September 20, 1789               Map of Pennsylvania highlighting Huntingdon County

County Seat:

Huntingdon  1789 – present

 

County Courthouse – Huntingdon  

 

Location:  233 Penn Street / 2nd Street

Built:  1882 – 1883

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Milton Earl Beebe of Buffalo, New York

Contractor:  Henry Snare & Company, a firm composed of Henry Snare, Nicholas Shaffer, Isaac Lamp and S E Henry.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Huntingdon. The building has two arches at the entrance and arched windows and horizontal trim. Over the entrance rises the clock tower in three stages with the clock at the top and rounded dome. The original tower was replaced in 1930. A brick chimney is located on either side of the clock tower. The interior has walnut wood, iron staircases, marble corridor floors and fireplaces. The main courtroom is located on the second story. The architect was Milton Earl Beebe of Buffalo, New York and the contractor was Henry Snare & Company, a firm composed of Henry Snare, Nicholas Shaffer, Isaac Lamp and S E Henry.The Courthouse Annex is on the west side of the courthouse.

 

See:  The architect, Milton Earl Beebe of Buffalo, New York, also designed courthouses in Minnesota in Hubbard County and in Pennsylvania in Cambria County, Schuylkill County and Warren County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Huntingdon Historic District

 

History:  The county was created in 1787 and Huntingdon was selected as the county seat. The first courts met in Lodwick Sell’s tavern. Fire destroyed an attempt to build a courthouse. The first courthouse was a two story brick structure built by John Blair in 1795 to 1797 in the middle of Smith Street at Hill Street. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built by James Stitt and Robert Stitt in 1841 to 1841. The courthouse was demolished in 1882. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1882 to 1883 at a cost of $71,300.

 

 

County Courthouse – Huntingdon  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2006 and 2015