Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Minnesota » Hubbard County

Hubbard County

Hubbard County is named after Lucius Frederick Hubbard, who was editor of the Red Wing Republican, state senator 1872-1875 and Governor 1882-1887.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Beltrami County

E – Cass County

S – Cass County and Wadena County 

W – Becker County and  Clearwater County

 

Created:  February 26, 1883                  Map of Minnesota highlighting Hubbard County

County Seat:

Park Rapids  1883 – present

 

County Courthouse – Park Rapids

 

Location:  301 Court Avenue / 3rd Street West

Built:  1975 – 1976

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Koehnlein / Lightowler / Johnson Inc. of Fargo, North Dakota

Contractor:  Twin City Construction Inc. of Fargo, North Dakota

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure.  The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Park Rapids and has dark red colored brick face over a steel frame. The glass at the east entrance rises to the third story and is supported by narrow steel mullions at wide intervals. On the west side is a one story wing. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the two County District Court courtrooms are located in the west one story wing. The building houses the County District Court of the 9th Judicial District. An addition was constructed and the building was remodeled in 2015 changing the front to the south side. The architect was Vetter Johnson Architects, Inc. and the contractor was Contegrity Group Inc. Along the west side is the Law Enforcement Center.

 

Old County Court House – Park Rapids 

 

                       

Location: 301 Court Avenue / 3rd Street West

Built:  1900 – 1901

Style:  Georgian

Architect:  Milton Earl Beebe of Buffalo, New York

Contractor:  N C Bacheller of La Crosse, Wisconsin

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Park Rapids with the courthouse on the south side. The building has a stone foundation. Shallow pavilions rise to pediments at the roof line on each side. The east front has a central entrance on the first story.  The second story windows are arched. In the interior are wood stairs ascending to the second story. The former courtroom is located along the south side of the second story. The building houses the Hubbard County Historical Society Museum and the North Country Museum of Arts.

 

See:  The architect, Milton Earl Beebe of Buffalo, New York, also designed courthouses in Pennsylvania in Cambria CountyHuntingdon County, Schuylkill County and Warren County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Old Hunbbard County Courthouse

 

See:  The 9th Judicial District includes Aitkin County, Beltrami County, Cass County, Clearwater CountyCrow Wing CountyItasca CountyKittson CountyKoochiching CountyLake of the Woods CountyMahnomen County, Marshall CountyNorman CountyPennington CountyPolk County, Red Lake County and Roseau County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1883 and Park Rapids was selected as the county seat. The county occupied rented premises until the first courthouse, a two story structure, was built in 1889. The building was damaged by fire and was later used as the Town Hall. The second courthouse was built in 1900 to 1901 at a cost of $13,485. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1974 and 1975 at a cost of $1,250,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Park Rapids

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court small courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Law Enforcement Center – Park Rapids

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Park Rapids

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2007, 2017 and 2023