Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » South Dakota » Ziebach County

Ziebach County

Ziebach County is named for F M Ziebach, who was a noted pioneer editor and a legislator in 1877.       

      

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Corson County

E – Dewey County

S – Haakon County

W – Meade County and Perkins County

           

                                        

Created:  February 1, 1911                     Map of South Dakota highlighting Ziebach County

County Seat:                                              

Dupree  1911 – present

 

County Courthouse – Dupree

 

Location:  215 South D Street / 3rd Street

Built:  1930 – 1931

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Hugill & Blatherwick of Sioux Falls

Contractor:  A J Clocksin & Company of Aberdeen

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story reddish-orange colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Dupree. The west front of the building has stone trim around the entrance with a small projecting balcony on the second story. The entry doors are topped with a stone cornice carried in consoles. A small cartouch flanked by horns of plenty rest atop the cornice. The center section extends slightly from the main building and has a pediment at the roof line. A projecting cornice runs below the flat roof line. In the interior, the floor plan is laid out with a “T” shaped corridor on the first story and “L” shaped corridors on the second and third stories. Walls are plastered and the floors are terrazzo. The entrance lobby on the first story has a staircase ascending to the third story. The County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the south side of the third story. The courtroom has a coffered ceiling, wood picture moldings and chair rails. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 4th Judicial District and the County Magistrate Court. 

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Ziebach County Courthouse

 

See:  The 4th Judicial Circuit includes Butte CountyCorson CountyDewey CountyHarding CountyLawrence CountyMeade County and Perkins County

 

History:  The county was created in 1911 and Dupree was selected as the county seat in 1912. The first courthouse was a one story white colored wood structure built by Philip Schweich in 1911 together with a jail. The building is still standing as the Community Hall on the west side of D Street ) between 3rd Street and 4th Street. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1930 to 1931 at a cost of $51,684,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Dupree

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2009 and 2023