Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Virginia » Sussex County

Sussex County

Sussex County is named for Sussex County in Great Britain.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Surry County

E – Southampton County

S – Greensville County

W – Dinwiddie County and Prince George County

 

Created:  November 1, 1754                  Map of Virginia highlighting Sussex County

County Seat: 

Sussex  1754 – present

 

County Courthouse – Sussex  

 

Location:  15088 Courthouse Road / Princeton Road

Built:  1823 – 1824

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  Thomas Jefferson and Dabney Cosby, Sr.

Contractor:  Dabney Cosby, Sr.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored Flemish bond brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Sussex with the one story Clerk’s Office on the south side and one story Office Building on the north side. The east front has a projecting center section with three arched openings on the first story with recessed entrance. There is a pediment with a large fanlight. On the roof is an open cupola with a red colored hipped roof. In the interior there is a vestibule on the first story and stairs ascending the courtroom on the second story. The courtroom has paneling on the west wall and was originally two stories high having a galley at the east end. 

 

Note:  The Sussex Courthouse Complex includes the courthouse, Clerk’s Office (1923-1924) designed by Henry T Barnham and built by J B Kitchen and Son and with addition built in 1982 designed by Mosley Hening Associates, Inc. and constructed by Brooks & Company, County Office Building (1953) designed by Bernard B Spigel and constructed by Silas S Kea and Sons, Jail and Dillard House (1800). On the east across the road is the Treasurer’s Office. The County Judicial Center is along the south side.

 

 See:  National Register of Historic Places – Sussex County Courthouse

 

See:  Thomas Jefferson designed the Roman Temple style of courthouse. Prominent among the courthouse builders who had worked at the University of Virginia were Dabney Cosby, Sr., Malcolm F Crawford, and William B Phillips. They in turn influenced other builders in the Jeffersonian idiom, including Branch Ellington, William A Howard, David Meade, and Valentine Parrish. Courthouse still standing  include those in Buckingham County and Charlotte County designed by Jefferson and those in  Caroline CountyClarke CountyCumberland CountyGoochland CountyGreene CountyLunenburg CountyMadison CountyMecklenburg CountyNottoway CountyPage County, Rappahannock County and Sussex County.

 

County Judicial Center – Sussex  

 

 

Location:  15088 Courthouse Road / Princeton Road

Built:  1993 – 1995

Style:  Modern

Architect:  The Moseley McClintock Group

Contractor:  Kenbridge Construction Company Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The  buiolding is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Sussex on the south side of the courthouse. The north front has a small portico with four columns with pediment on the second story. Along the north front is a one story porch with arched openings. The second story has square windows. The roof is hipped. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 6th Judicial Circuit. 

 

See:  The 6th Judicial Circuit includes Brunswick County, EmporiaGreensville County, Hopewell, Prince George County and Surry County

 

History:  The county was created in 1754 and Sussex was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was in 1755 to 1756. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1823 to 1824. The County Judicial Center was constructed in 1993 to 1995.

 

 

County Courthouse – Sussex

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Office Buildibg – Sussex

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Clerk’s Office – Sussex

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Judicial Center – Sussex

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2013