Skip to content
Home » US States » N » Nebraska » Hitchcock County

Hitchcock County

Hitchcock County is named for Phineas Warrener Hitchcock, who was a United States Senator from Nebraska.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Hayes County

E – Red Willow County

S – Rawlins County, Kansas

W – Dundy County

 

Created:  February 27, 1873                  Map of Nebraska highlighting Hitchcock County

County Seat:

Culbertson  1873 – 1893

Trenton       1893 – present

 

County Courthouse – Trenton  

 

Location:  229 East D Street / East 2nd Street

Built:  1968 – 1969

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Leo A Daly

Contractor:  Lyons Construction

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Trenton. The south front has a projecting east and west wing. The windows have white colored concrete panels above. The roof line is flat. The interior walls are dry wall, painted with vinyl panels covering the hallways and the floors are carpeted. The combined County District Court and County Court courtroom is located at the center of the north side abutting on the east north-south hallway. The building houses the District Court and County Court of the 11th Judicial District.

 

See:  The 11th Judicial District includes Arthur CountyChase County, Dawson CountyDundy County, Frontier County, Furnas County, Gosper County, Hayes CountyHooker CountyKeith CountyLincoln County, Logan CountyMcPherson CountyPerkins County, Red Willow County and Thomas County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1873 and Culbertson was designated as the county Seat. The first courthouse was built in 1886. The county seat was moved to Trenton in 1893 and the courthouse was converted for use as a school. The courthouse burned September 25, 1903. The county records were stored in the Armitage Building and county meetings were held at different locations. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by Eisentraut, Colby, Pottenger & Company and built in 1906. The building was torn down when the third and present courthouse was constructed in 1968 to 1969.

 

. 

County Courthouse – Trenton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court and County Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Commissioner’s Meeting Room

 

 

Courtroom is the large rectangular room at top right

 

 

 

 

Picture 1906 Second County Courthouse

 

 

Picture 1886 First County Courthouse

 

 

Armitage Building – Trenton

Photos taken 2010 and 2023