Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Virginia » Highland County

Highland County

Highland County is named for the loft height of the County being 3000 feet.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Pendleton County, West Virginia

E – Augusta County

S – Bath County

W – Pocahontas County, West Virginia

 

Created:  March 19, 1847                       Map of Virginia highlighting Highland County

County Seat: 

Monterey  1847 – present

 

County Courthouse – Monterey 

 

Location:  165 Main Street / Water Street

Built:  1847 – 1848 / 1947 – 1948

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Robert Johnson / Daley Craig

Contractor:  Robert Johnson / C W Barger.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Monterey. The north front has a large porch with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a white colored cupola with steep roof. On the northwest and northeast are one story wings with hipped roofs. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court, Couny General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 25th Judicial Circuit. The architect and the contractor was Robert Johnson. In 1947, the building was rebuilt. The architect was Daley Craig and the contractor was C W Barger.

 

See:  The 25th Judicial Circuit includes Alleghany County, Augusta County, Bath CountyBotetourt CountyBuena Vista, Clifton Forge, Covington, Craig County, Highland County, Lexington, Rockbridge CountyStaunton and Waynesboro.

 

History: The county was created in 1847 and Monterey was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was erected in Monterey in 1847 to 1848 at a cost of $4,935. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1947. The courthouse was rebuilt as the second and present courthouse in 1947 to 1948.

 

 

County Courthouse – Monterey

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2012