Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Oklahoma » Bryan County

Bryan County

Bryan County is named for William Jennings Bryan, who was a Populist politician.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Johnston County and Atoka County

E – Choctaw County

S – Lamar County, Texas, Fannin County, Texas and Grayson County, Texas

W – Marshall County

 

Created:  July 16, 1907                          Map of Oklahoma highlighting Bryan County

County Seat:

Durant  1907 – present

 

County Courthouse – Durant 

 

Location:  402 West Evergreen Street / North 4th Avenue

Built:  1917 – 1918

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Jewell Hicks

Contractor:  Manhattan Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces east and is a three story gray colored limestone structure. The approximately square building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Durant. The building is constructed of cut stone blocks. The east front has a projecting center section with four Corinthian columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with a wide header above with crest at the roof line. An ornate wreath and shield design provides a decorative accent above the new metal and glass front door. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line. The first story has horizontal stone work. In the interior, the building has marble floors, staircase and wainscoting. The building houses the County District Court of the 19th Judicial District.

 

See:  The architect, Jewell Hicks, also designed the courthouses  in Garvin County, Marshall County and Murray County.

 

See:  The contractor, Manhattan Construction Company, constructed courthouses in Oklahoma in Craig CountyCreek County, Garvin County, Logan County, Muskogee County, Noble County, Oklahoma County, Pawnee County and Tulsa County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Bryan County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1907 and Durant was selected as the county seat. The county used rented premises until the first and present courthouse was constructed in 1916 to 1917.

 

 

County Courthouse – Durant

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2009