Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Oklahoma » Cotton County

Cotton County

Cotton County is named for the abundance of cotton grown in the county.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Comanche County

E – Stephens County and Jefferson County

S – Clay County, Texas and Wichita County, Texas

W – Tillman County

 

Created:  August 27, 1912                      Map of Oklahoma highlighting Cotton County

County Seat:

Randlett  1912

Walters   1912 – present

 

County Courthouse – Walters 

 

Location:  301 North Broadway Street / East Oklahoma Avenue

Built:  1926 – 1927

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Tonini and Bramblet

Contractor:  Charles M Dunning Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray colored stone block and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Walters. The rectangular shaped building has a wide band along the roof line with cornice below. The first story has horizontal stonework with central entrances. Plain pilasters alternate with the window bays. Each of the four doorways is ornamented by a small lintel supported by console brackets. A beveled glass transom is above each of the double wooden doors. The space between the second and third story windows is ornamented by a simple design of a series of overlapping rectangular and diamond-shaped plaques. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the County Distruct Court courtroom is located on the third story.The building houses the County District Court of the 5th Judicial District.

 

See: The architect,  Tonini and Bramblet ( and associates ), designed courthouses in Kansas in Crawford County and Oklahoma in Alfalfa County, Major County, Okmulgee County, Payne County, Tillman County and Wooward County.

 

See: The contractor, Charles M Dunning Construction Company, constructed courthouses in Alfalfa County (which is a similar design) and Tillman County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Cotton County Courthouse

 

See:  The 5th Judicial District includes Comanche CountyJefferson County and Stephens County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1912 and Randlett was selected as the county seat. The county seat was moved to Walters in 1912 and the county rented space in several buildings until the first and present courthouse was constructed in 1926.

 

 

County Courthouse – Walters

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010