Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Mississippi » Chickasaw County

Chickasaw County

Chickasaw County is named for the Chickasaw Native American tribe and means “rebellion”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Pontotoc County and Lee County

E – Monroe County

S – Clay County and Webster County

W – Calhoun County 

 

Created:  February 9, 1836                                                        Map of Mississippi highlighting Chickasaw County

County Seat: 

Houston  1836 – present   ( First Judicial District )

Okolona  1866 – present   ( Second Judicial District )

* Chickasaw County has two county seats

 

County Courthouse – Houston 

 

Location:  1 Pinson Square / Madison Street

Built:  1909 – 1910

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Ruben Harrison Hunt & Company of Chattanooga, Tennessee

Contractor:  William J McGee

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Houston. The east front has a high portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The building forms a “H shape with north and south wings at the east front and west side. On the roof is a large open dome with silver roof and lantern and gold eagle at the top. In the interior, the County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the 1st District County Circuit Court of the 3rd Judicial District, County Chancery Court, County Youth Court and County Justice Court.

 

See:  Ruben Harrison Hunt of Chattanooga, Tennessee, the architect, also designed courthouses in Alabama in Talladega Countyin Georgia in Elbert County. in Mississippi in Lawrence County and Leflore County and in Tennessee in Hamilton CountyHenry CountyPolk County and Warren County.

 

See:  The 3rd Judicial District includes Benton CountyCalhoun CountyLafayette CountyMarshall CountyTippah County and Union County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1836 and Houston was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1836. The second courthouse was built by T J Davidson 1n 1858. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1909 to 1910.

 

County Courthouse – Okolona

 

 

Location:  234 – 236 West Main Street / North Olive Street

Built:  1924 – 1925

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Okolona. The south front has a recessed porch on the first story with an arched pillar on either end and two large pillars in the center. On the second and third stories, vertical pilasters rise between the triple set windows. There is a wide horizontal band and cornice below the roof line. On the east sde is a high narrow window. The roof line is flat. The building was formerly the Masonic Lodge. In the interior, the large County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the 2nd District County Circuit Court of the 3rd Judicial District, County Chancery Court and County Justice Court.

 

History:  Okolona was made the second county seat in 1866. The county rented space and in 1924, the first and present courthouse was purchased

 

 

County Courthouse – Houston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cornerstone 1858

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse – Okolona

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

Photos taken 2012 and 2017