Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Oklahoma » Blaine County

Blaine County

Blaine County is named for James G Blaine, who was a former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, United States Senator and Secretary of State.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Major County

E – Kingfisher County and Canadian County

S – Caddo County

W – Custer County and Dewey County

 

Created:  May 2, 1890                            Map of Oklahoma highlighting Blaine County

County Seat:

Watonga  1890 – present

 

County Courthouse – Watonga 

 

Location:  212 North Weigle Avenue / West Main Street

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  E Coady Company

Contractor:  T Okeefe

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Watonga. The building has a raised concrete basement. The west front has a central entrance framed with stone and with a small pediment above. The center section projects slightly and has narrow windows on the second and third stories with a pediment at the roof line. The building has particularly fine brickwork. A subtle composition of raised, open squares and rectangles emphasizes the patterning of the windows. Brickwork modillions define the lines of the cornice. On the center of the roof is an octagonal gold colored dome. The building houses the County District Court of the 4th Judicial District.  A two story rectangular shaped addition constructed in 1987 of matching buff colored brick is located on the north side and is connected to the courthouse by a breezeway. The architect was Badgett / Culver and the contractor was Industrial Project.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Blaine County Courthouse

 

See:  The 4th Judicial District includes Alfalfa County, Dewey CountyGarfield CountyGrant County, Kingfisher County, Major CountyWoods County and Woodward County.    

 

History:  The county was created in 1890 and Watonga was selected as the county seat in 1892 when the county was organized. The county used rented premises. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1906 to 1907.

 

 

County Courthouse – Watonga

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010