Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » South Dakota » McCook County

McCook County

McCook County is named for Edwin Stanton McCook, who was a governor of the Dakota Territory and a general in the American Civil War.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Miner County and Lake County

E – County

S – Turner County and Hutchinson County

W – Hanson County


Created:  January 8, 1873                      Map of South Dakota highlighting McCook County

County Seat:

Cameron       1878 – 1880

Bridgewater   1880 – 1882

Salem            1882 – present


County Courthouse – Salem


Location:  130 West Essex Avenue / North Main Street

Built:  1934 – 1935

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Floyd F Kings and Walter J Dixon

Contractor:  Huron Construction Company


Description:  The building faces south and is a three story rectangular brownish colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Salem and has a stone frame around the main entrance. Silver colored panels are between the windows on the second and third stories. Vertical pilasters run between the windows and a belt runs between the first and second stories. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the west side of the third story. The  ceiling is finished with the same wide border bands creating a sunken panel as in the corridors. The walls in the room are lined with a wood wainscotting. An ornamental plaster cornice in a stylized geometric motif encircles the room at the ceiling. The original furnishings remain in-place. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 1st Judicial Circuit and the County Magistrate Court.


See:  National Register of Historic Places – McCook County Courthouse


See:  The 1st Judicial Circuit includes Aurora County, Bon Homme CountyBrule CountyBuffalo CountyCharles Mix County, Clay County, Davison CountyDouglas CountyHanson CountyHutchinson CountyTurner CountyUnion County and Yankton County.


History:  The county was created in 1873 and Cameron was selected as the county seat in 1878 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was donated by a local resident. The county seat was moved to Bridgewater in 1880 where the second courthouse was erected. The county seat was moved to Salem and the third courthouse was a school house. The fourth courthouse was built by Thomas McKinnon in 1884 as a two room building which was enlarged in 1893 to a two story wood frame structure. The architect was W L Dow. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1934 to 1935 at a cost of $75,441.



County Courthouse – Salem



















County Circuit Court courtroom

















Photos taken 2007 and 2018