Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » South Dakota » Hanson County

Hanson County

Hanson County is named for Joseph R Hanson of Yankton, South Dakota, who had settled in the area.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Sanborn County and Miner County

E –https://courthouses.co/us-states/o-u/south-dakota/davison-county/McCook County

S – Hutchinson County

W – Davison County

 

Created:  January 13, 1871                    Map of South Dakota highlighting Hanson County

County Seat:

Rockport     1873 – 1880

Alexandria  1880 – present

 

County Courthouse – Alexandria

 

Location:  720 5th Street / Walnut Street

Built:  2009 – 2010

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Herm Harms

Contractor:  Puetz Corporation of Mitchell

 

Description: The building faces south and is a one story wood frame with brick veneer and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the east side of the center of the city. The building has a low pitched hip roof except in the front where there is a gable roof above the double glass doors. The front entry has pillars on each side of the entry which supports an entablature bearing the words “Hanson County Courthouse”. In the interior, the County Circuit Court courtroom is located at the center of the north side of the building. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 1st Judicial Circuit and the County Magistrate Court.

 

Former County Courthouse – Alexandria

 

 

Location:  720 5th Street / Walnut Street

Built:  1904 – 1905

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  W R Parsons and Son of Des Moines, Iowa

Contractor:  J W Detwiler & Company

 

Description: The building faced south and was a two story rectangular grayish colored brick structure. The building had a projecting center sections on each side. The base was rough stone. A horizontal white colored band was located at the roof line. The courtroom was on the second story. The building was demolished on December 1, 2008.

 

Note:  The W R Parsons and Sons of Des Moines, Iowa designed four of South Dakota’s county courthouses in Faulk County (1905), Turner County (1902) and Yankton County (1905).

 

See:  The 1st Judicial Circuit includes Aurora County, Bon Homme CountyBrule CountyBuffalo CountyCharles Mix County, Clay County, Davison CountyDouglas CountyHutchinson CountyMcCook CountyTurner CountyUnion County and Yankton County.

 

HistoryThe county was created in 1871 and Rockport was selected as the county seat in 1873. The county seat was moved to Alexandria in 1880. The first courthouse was constructed in 1904 to 1905 and was demolished in 2008 when the second and present courthouse was constructed in 2009 to 2010.

 

 

County Courthouse – Alexandria

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Former County Courthouse – Alexandria

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2007, 2011 and 2018