Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Georgia » Oglethorpe County

Oglethorpe County

Oglethorpe County is named for James Oglethorpe, who was the founder of Georgia.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Madison County and Elbert County

E – Wilkes County

S – Taliaferro County and Greene County

W – Ocenee County and Clarke County

 

Created:  December 19, 1793                Map of Georgia highlighting Oglethorpe County

County Seat: 

Philomath  1793 – 1806

Lexington    1806 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lexington 

 

Location:  111 Main Street / Gilmer Street

Built:  1886 – 1887

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  Lorenzo G Wheeler, William H Parkins and Hannibal I Kimball

Contractor:  W W McAfee and R Bondurant

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lexington. The north front has a high central clock tower with recessed entrance on the first story, large recessed window on the second story with balcony, open belfry on the fourth story and clock and steep roof at the top. On either side of the tower are large stone arches. On the second story are double arched windows. The northwest and northeast corners have square brick towers with steep roofs. On the west side is a round tower with conical roof. On the east side is a large stone arch. The roof is hipped. In the interior the hallway runs north-south with wood floors and stairs. The County Superior Court courtroom is located on the second story with access by the outside elevator along the east side. The building houses the County Superior Court and County Juvenile Court of the 10th Judicial District. The building was remodeled in 1992 to 1993. To the east the County Probate Court and County Magistrate Court are located in the Courthouse Annex at 109 East Boggs Street. To the west is the Old County Jail built in 1879..

 

See:  The 10th Judicial District includes Banks CountyBarrow County, Burke CountyClarke CountyColumbia CountyElbert CountyFranklin CountyGlascock CountyHart CountyJackson CountyLincoln CountyMadison CountyMcDuffie CountyNewton CountyOconee County, Richmond CountyTaliaferro CountyWalton CountyWarren County and Wilkes County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1793 and Philomath was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse in 1793 was a log building located on Salem Road near Philomath (Woodstock). In 1800, the courthouse was moved to Lexington and in 1806, the county seat was moved from Philomath to Lexington. The second and present courthouse was built in 1886 to 1887.

 

 

County Courthouse – Lexington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Jail – Lexington

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2013 and 2024