Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Oklahoma » Grady County

Grady County

Grady County is named for Henry W Grady, who was the editor of the Atlanta Constitution newspaper.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Canadian County

E – McClain County and Garvin County

S – Stephens County

W – Comanche County and Caddo County

 

Created:  July 16, 1907                          Map of Oklahoma highlighting Grady County

County Seat:

Chickasha  1907 – present

 

County Courthouse – Chickasha 

 

Location:  326 West Choctaw Avenue / North 4th Street

Built:  1934 – 1935

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Layton, Hicks and Forsyth

Contractor:  Harmon Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces south and is a four story cream colored stone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Chickasha. The building is constructed of Texas shellstone and has a raised basement. The building is embellished with fluted pilasters, a highly ornamented cornice and elaborate, abstract, low relief, sculpture panels above the doors and windows. The central south entrance has ornamentation above the doorway. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the lobby has an ornate plaster ceiling with stylized aluminum light fixtures; shellstone walls; marble wainscoting with elaborate aluminum grates; and, a marble floor. On either side of the lobby are the marble stairs which go down to the basement. The County District Court courtroom remains nearly intact on the east side of the second floor. This includes the leather-covered doors, ornate aluminum grills and light fixtures, ornamental ceiling, plaster walls, marble wainscoting and wood furnishings. Importantly, the wooden wall sculpture carved by then-University of Oklahoma student Derald T. Swineford remains in place behind the judges bench. The Justice Tempered by Mercy carving depicts an Ancient-dressed man and women. Both figures have one hand on a sword inscribed with the Ancient legal doctrine of An Eye for an Eye and a Tooth for a Tooth. A second smaller, historic, county courtroom is located on the west end of the second story. A third courtroom has been added on the west side of the basement and has modern furnishings. The building houses the County District Court of the 6th Judicial District. 

 

See: The architect, Layton and Forsyth ( and associated firms ), designed courthouses in Beckham County, Carter County, Craig County, Creek CountyGreer County, Harmon County, Jefferson County, McIntosh County, Muskogee County, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma CountyPittsburg County and Washita County.

 

See:  The 6th Judicial District includes Caddo County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1907 and Chichasha was selected as the county seat. The federal courthouse, a two story red colored brick structure  was built by the Chickasha Improvement Company in 1897 on the northeast corner of Choctaw Avenue and North Fourth Street and the county rented space  and later moved to a building on North Third Street. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1934 to 1935.

 

 

County Courthouse – Chickasha

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010