Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Georgia » Lowndes County

Lowndes County

Lowndes County is named for William Lowndes, who was a South Carolina lawyer, planter, United States representative and vice presidential candidate.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

 Cook CountyBerrien County and Lanier County 

E – Lanier County and Echols County

S – Hamilton County, Florida and Madison County, Florida

W – Brooks County

 

Created:  December 23, 1825                Map of Georgia highlighting Lowndes County

County Seat: 

Franklinville     1828 – 1833

Lowndesville   1833 – 1859

Valdosta          1859 – present

 

County Courthouse – Valdosta

 

Location:  100 East Central Avenue / North Paterson Street

Built:  1904 – 1905

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC

Contractor:  Algernon Blair

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Valdosta. The south front has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a balustrade around the roof. On each corner are small domes. In the center of the roof is a large octagonal dome with a higher octagonal dome and topped by a small lantern. In the interior are marble and iron staircases and marble floors and marble wainscoting. Some pressed metal ceilings remain in the stairwells. The building was remodeled in 1892.

 

See:  The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.

 

County Judicial & Administration Complex – Valdosta

 

 

Location:  327 North Ashley Street / Magnolia Street

Built:  2008 – 2010

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Ellis, Ricket & Associates

Contractor:  Phase I – Pinnacle Prime Contractors

Phase II – Quillian Powell Construction.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a five story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Valdosta to the north of the courthouse and has a one story section on the southwest with curved canopy at the central entrance on the south and on the west sides. On the north side is a three story section which houses the administration and on the east side is a five story section which houses the courts. The building houses the County Superior Court, County State Court, County Juvenile Court, County Probate Court and County Magistrate of the 2nd Judicial District. The building is named as the Lowndes County Judicial and Administrative Complex. 

 

See:  The 2nd Judicial District includes Atkinson CountyBaker CountyBerrien CountyBrooks County. Calhoun CountyClay CountyClinch CountyColquitt CountyCook CountyDecatur CountyDougherty CountyEarly County, Echols CountyGrady CountyIrwin CountyLanier County, Miller CountyMitchell County, Quitman CountyRandolph CountySeminole CountyTerrell CountyThomas CountyTift CountyTurner County and Worth County 

 

History:  The county was created in 1825 and Franklinville was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log structure built in Franklinville in 1828. In 1833, the courthouse was moved to Lowndesville when the county seat was moved. The second courthouse was built in 1834. The third courthouse was built in 1842 and burned in 1858. In 1859, the county seat was moved to Valdosta and the fourth courthouse was built and later burned in 1869. The fifth courthouse was built on the public square in 1871. The sixth courthouse was a two story red cored brick structure constructed in 1875. The seventh and present courthouse was constructed in 1904 to 1905. The Judicial Center was constructed in 2008 to 2010 at a cost of $17,900,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Valdosta

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Judicial & Administration Complex – Valdosta

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2009, 2018 and 2020