Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » South Dakota » Hyde County

Hyde County

Hyde County is named for James Hyde of Vermillion, who served as State legislator in 1883.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Potter County and Faulk County

E – Hand County

S – Buffalo County and Lyman County

W – Hughes County and Sully County

 

Created:   January 8, 1873                     Map of South Dakota highlighting Hyde County

County Seat:

Highmore  1884 – present

 

County Courthouse – Highmore

 

Location:   412 Commercial Avenue Southeast / 4th Street Southeast

Built:   1911 – 1912

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  The Black Hill Company of Deadwood

Contractor:   Gray Construction Company of Watertown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story gray stone structureThe rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Highmore. The west front has a large portico supported by two large columns rising to the top of the second story with a large pediment above. The base of the building is course yellow colored sandstone. The interior is equally as preserved as the exterior with only minor changes. Some of the features include Ionic pillars, maple wood and ceramic tiled floors, red oak trim, copper railings and a wired art glass dome with a copper covered exterior. The County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the south side of the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 6th Judicial Circuit and the County Magistrate Court. 

 

See:  The contractor,  Gray Construction Company of Watertown also constructed courthouses in Clark CountyCodington CountyDouglas County, Edmunds County, Faulk CountyHamlin County, Sully County and Walworth County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Hyde County Courthouse

 

See:  The 6th Judicial Circuit includes Bennett CountyGregory County, Haakon CountyHughes CountyJackson CountyJones County, Lyman CountyMellette CountyPotter County, Stanley CountySully County, Todd County and Tripp County

 

History:  The county was created in 1873 and Highmore was selected as the county seat in 1884. The first court met in the upper room of the Harris Building, a large two story wood frame structure owned by H C Harris in 1885. The building was destroyed by fire On June 20, 1892. The second courthouse in 1894 was the Franklin Hotel located at 114 Commercial Avenue and built by Ernest Bailie in 1892. The hotel was demolished. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1911 to 1912.

 

 

County Courthouse – Highmore

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

Photos taken 2007