Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » South Dakota » Clark County

Clark County


Clark County is named for Clark House, a local inn owned by Mrs. M E Greenslet that was the county’s first headquarters.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Day County

E – Codington County and Hamlin County

S – Hamlin County and Beadle County

W – Beadle County and Spink County


Created:  January 8, 1873                      Map of South Dakota highlighting Clark County

County Seat:

Clark  1881 – present


County Courthouse – Clark


Location:  200 North Commercial Street / 2nd Avenue NE

Built:  1933 – 1934

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Hugill & Blatherwick

Contractor:  Gray Construction Company of Watertown


Description:  The building faces east and is a three story orange colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the center of Clark and has a stone trimmed entrance in the center of the main floor with a stone eagle over the doorway. The building has horizontal white colored stone bands and a wide white colored stone band at the flat roof line. In the interior is pink colored Tennessee marble. The County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the third story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 3rd Judicial Circuit and the County Magistrate Court.


See:  The contractor, Gray Construction Company of Watertown also constructed courthouses in Clark CountyCodington CountyDouglas County, Edmunds County, Faulk CountyHamlin County, Hyde CountySully County and Walworth County.


See:  National Register of Historic Places – Clark County Courthouse


See:  The 3rd Judicial Circuit includes Beadle CountyBrookings CountyCodington CountyDeuel County, Grant CountyHamlin CountyHand CountyJerauld County, Kingsbury County, Lake CountyMiner CountyMoody County and Sanborn County.  


History:  The county was created in 1873 and Clark was selected as the county seat in 1881 when the county was organized. The first office was housed in Clark House in Clark in 1881. The building was destroyed by fire in 1882. The office was moved to the Clark County Bank building. The first courthouse was a two story structure designed by W L Dow and constructed by Samuel Hackett, L H Hackett and Ira Davidson in 1888. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1933 to 1934.



County Courthouse – Clark

















County Circuit Court courtroom













Picture 1888 County Courthouse

Photos taken 2007 and 2018